Interview: Eduardo from Thimoteos, No More Zombies, and Cristo Suburbano/Suburban Christ Records!!

Eduardo A. Teixeira learned to speak English from listening to people speak English, and also comic books. He said talking with me is a wonderful English class. This guy is some kind of linguistic genius, because I took a French class in high school and I can’t read comic books in French.

Cristo Suburbano Records
Cristo Suburbano/Suburban Christ Records


He also runs Cristo Suburbano Records, or Suburban Christ in English. This is a take off of another local project called Suburban Shout (in English). Eduardo thought it’d be cool to take the name Suburban Shout and start a label named Suburban Christ. So that’s where the name came from.


Eduardo is a super generous person!! He donated an exclusive track for our upcoming benefit compilation with Thumper Punk Records for Christian Alliance For Orphans, and gave me gift copies of his albums and also albums from his record label Cristo Suburbano. I listened to every album he gave me all the way through a couple times (at least, because auto repeat is on and I don't always change it) so I feel fairly acquainted with some of the Christian punk sounds coming out of Sao Palo, Brazil. And I love it!!

EDU NMZ - EDUardo from No More Zombies!! 3 Song Acoustic EP Out Now on Thumper Punk Records!!!!



These recordings have some of that original punk energy and rawness that I feel is missing in many punk records coming out nowadays. If there’s one thing I really dislike, it’s slick, squeaky clean punk albums. Black Flag. The Crucified. These are the punk recordings I enjoy.


And that’s the vibe I get coming out of Euardo, Thimoteos, and Cristo Suburbano/Suburban Christ Records. The Black Flag/Crucified vibe - not the overproduced Mr. Clean punk.



OK Enjoy the interview! We talked about all of Eduardo’s projects, past and present, and the documentary that’s coming out January 2018, cool things God has done in Eduardo’s life, reading the Bible at punk shows, and of course his doggies!! [And he stayed up until 1:53 AM for the first part of the interview - thanks so much Eduardo, this interview is awesome!!]











first question for interview: You do a lot of stuff!! Can you list all the bands and projects you're involved with, now and in the past?







I started my musical career in the year of my conversion to Jesus in 1998. I was a drug user and the Lord set me free and I started in my first punk band - Radioactivos. In 2000, Radioactivos wanted to become professional (ha ha) and I ended up leaving the band. I was very punk rock.


In 2001, I founded Thimoteos and did a lot of shows in bars, skate parks and churches. Around 2013 I quit Thimoteos because of disagreements with the other members, and in 2014 I founded No More Zombies that lasted until the end of 2017 when me and the current drummer, Antonio, talked about how popular Thimoteos was, and how many people really liked Thimoteos.


We then decided to go back [playing in Thimoteos]. They are basically the same songs that I have played since 1998 with some new compositions along the way ...







you have dogs!! what are their names and what kind are they?


also, can you take picture of the dogs for the interview blog post?






I have two shih tzus. The male is called Wiket and the female is called Gopi. The first was inspired by ewoks and the female mirrored me in Hindu mythology.


Eduardo's Doggies!!





q 3: what is one of your favorite Bible verses, and why do you like it?






Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Revelation 2:10


This verse, which is the second part of the same biblical verse, touches upon my permanence in fidelity to God. So he is very strong for me, for it is the verse that guides my life.











q 4: What is Jesus doing in your area?






Do You say area - country?





yes! and your neighborhood, or church, or at punk shows, or whatever. cool stuff God is doing where you live





It's very common in bands’ shows that I play a Bible and bring a message to the audience. I think it's not really a rock show that converts a person, but the reading and exposure of the Word of God in the environment. And I believe that those who are elected by God will be touched in the heart.





so you read the Bible at your shows?? that's awesome!!






Yes, I do





that's amazing bro, i respect that!!! that's a really big deal. the Word of God is our weapon!!! you are the man






lol

Some recent Cristo Suburbano Records releases






q 5: God is powerful! What's the coolest thing you've seen God do in your life or for someone you know?





Man, before Jesus was in my life, I was addicted to heavy drugs like cocaine, crack, marijuana. I remember being crazy and playing in a bar and a woman coming up to me and telling me that I was not playing anything that pleases her. However, I was still going to play in a church.


I told her she was crazy.


One rainy day, I had drunk a bottle of wine alone and smoked a lot of marijuana, and there was a rock show in a church. A young man from there crossed the street in the rain, and talked to me a lot. I went with him a few times to attend some meetings and the day Jesus touched my heart, I gave myself to Him and I was freed from everything overnight.









wow!!!!!! did you have withdrawals or anything after quitting cocaine, crack, etc?





No. I was totally healed by Jesus, the doctors' doctor.








that is awesome


q 6: you're working on a documentary. What is it about, and when will it be released?





This is the second documentary that I have directed, and [this new film] brings a much larger panorama of Brazilian Christian punk rock. There are bands, people with stories, fanzines ... Things that are very pertinent to Brazilian punk, only with the Christian perspective.


It will be released January 6, 2018.





What's the title?





Entre Bíblias e Coturnos - O Punk Rock Cristão no Brasil. [In English the title would] be something like Behind Bibles and Boots - The Christian Punk Rock Scene in Brasi"







you sent me an advance copy of the soundtrack and it's great. tons of awesome bands!!!


the film sounds awesome!! I really want to see it.


what was the first documentary you directed?







Cristo Suburbano


It's a pun on the words Cristo (Christ) and Grito (Shout)





where can I see that?









https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sRg9bMuTOM&t=3893s


It’s not easy, but I’m putting subtitles








I'll watch it tonight!!! [I didn’t watch it that night, but I watched it earlier today.]





Man, Portuguese is very difficult [Boy was he right about that. And the English subtitles aren’t finished yet, so I had absolutely no idea what they were saying, but it looked very cool!! And the part that had English subtitles was super interesting.]


hahahahah





lol i still really want to see it!!! [and I still do!!]


q 7: on the new Thimoteos album Recomecos, track 3 "Misha Brisa" has horns and a ska/reggae vibe. This is the first Thimoteos song with horns right?







Yes


The first


Sounds like Supertones





that is awesome!!! I love when bands try new things. God bless you for keeping it fresh!!!





It is very common in Brazil, the Brazilian bands do not just stick to one musical style. You can see the mix [of different music styles] by people like the Cavalera brothers in the Sepultura.





that is very awesome!! speaking of the Cavaleras, you sound a bit like Max on songs like "Livre" by Thimoteos !!! there's also a Rage Against the Machine/Tom Morello vibe to that song too, which is also unexpected but enjoyed!!!






q 8: what's one of the most personal songs you have ever written, and what is it about?





I like all my songs, but if I have one in particular, it would be "Crendo Pra Ver". It is a song that speaks of faith in difficult times.





q 9: how does God talk to you?





Through the Bible, in impressions of life, prayers (I have Calvinist and Pentecostal roots in my theological formation).





has God ever used a movie to talk to you?





Yes


All Impressions of life





There's this movie Ink, man it is incredible. That movie blows me away, and I feel it has a really important message about how we live our lives. I feel like God talks to me with that movie.





follow up to question 3: you said, about Gopi: " the female mirrored me in Hindu mythology." that sounds interesting, what do you mean?





From a little boy, I fell in love with mythologies that at first, was the Greek. Then the Egyptians and I enjoyed the films Wrath of the Titans, Gods of Egypt, etc. I find Hindu mythology interesting and recently I have been fascinated by Norse mythology from watching the series Vikings. They are the superheroes of the comic books of antiquity.





I've always been interested in other religions' worldviews. What do you find interesting about the Hindu Gopi?





[Eduardo wrote this next part to me in Portuguese. I imagine it’s because this part is important to him and since English is not his first language, he can more accurately express himself in his first language of Portuguese. But in either case, on with the interview!]


Minha esposa antes de se converter ao cristianismo era Hare Krishna. Então, um dia, Ela colocou no mensenger dela Gopinanda. Eu perguntei o que era - um tipo de namorada de Krishna. Eu achei legal e disse que esse seria o nome da nossa cachorrinha femea.


My wife before turning to Christianity was Hare Krishna. Then, one day, she put it on Gopinanda's mensenger. I asked what it was - a kind of Krishna's girlfriend. I thought it cool and said that this would be the name of our female dog.


Sorry, translation wrong







I'm not judging you for having a dog named Gopi!!





No problem


Gopi is just a myth


Not real


There is only one true God above. No other gods. They don't exist.


lol


Fact: I'm a big fan of horror movies and superheroes, and mythology movies







I think it's interesting to compare other religions with Christianity. It seems like all other beliefs outside of Christianity involve things you have to DO in order to go to heaven, or enlightenment, or whatever. Christianity seems unique in that Jesus Christ gives us a gift of eternal life. We don't DO anything, just accept the gift and follow Christ.


what do you think?







I am sure that in paganism - one believes that God is nature or is in it, whether in animals, elements, etc. In Romanism, the church and the priest become the intermediary for God. In Islam, God is powerful but unreachable. In the Christian faith, God is powerful and sovereign, yet through Jesus, He relates to man. He chose us before the foundation of the world and predestined us to it. Ephesians 1











Man, it’s 1:53 AM


I'm going to sleep


Next day







q9: Prayer is powerful! Is there anything we can pray for you about?





Pray that God's plans will be fulfilled in my life, that I will not deviate in any moment, that I may grow in grace and knowledge and also by His mercies over me. May I be more like Jesus.





definitely!!


q 10: what new music releases do you have coming soon?





“How Great Thou Art” feat. Mark Main

“My Heart” (“Minha Brisa” English version)


And English versions of Thimoteos' songs





there's a new Cristo Suburbano comp coming in 2018 right?





Yes


Cristo Suburbano Volume 4


Do you like “My Heart”?


It is the song “Minha Brisa” in English





yes!!!!!


it's cool to know what you're saying


double bass drum beat and ska, never heard this before!!! very original song


when is Cristo Suburbano 4 coming out?





February





very cool!!! that's all the questions I've got for this interview, where can people go to hear your music and Cristo Suburbano?





Thimoteos


https://thimoteoshardcore.bandcamp.com/


All Cristo Suburbano's Stuff


https://cristosuburbanorecords.bandcamp.com/







is there anything you want to talk about that I didn't ask about?





No, That’s all, Folks!












thanks Edu!!!




Cristo Suburbano Links


All Cristo Suburbano's Stuff


https://cristosuburbanorecords.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/cristosuburbano/

http://cristosuburbano.blogspot.com

Thimeteos Links


https://www.facebook.com/thimoteoshc/


Eduardo Links

https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.teixeira.ceba

https://www.instagram.com/eduardo.teixeira75/

@eduardo.teixeira75 on Instagram

Comments